Sunday, March 20, 2011

1980 Corolla SR-5 Vacuum



Hi there,

I have a 1980 Corolla SR-5 with the 3tc engine,5 speed and the Aisan carb.

All of the vacuum lines are a mess, and I was hoping someone on the board might have a diagram of the routing for them.

I just recently rebuilt the carb on it, and am having hard starting, and black smoke when it tries to run, I think the float is too high.

Does the gas level on the Aisan carb line up with the dot on the sight glass when the float is right?



Great looking board...I look forward to learning a lot about these little cars. ^_^

Reply 1 : 1980 Corolla SR-5 Vacuum



Yes. Usually there is a vacuum hose routing diagram stuck on the inside of the hood. If you can not figure it out just cap the connection on the carb. Just make sure you at least get the ones to the distributor Vacuum advance and the vacuum switch on the right front fender.



""Does the gas level on the Aisan carb line up with the dot on the sight glass when the float is right?""





Hemi3TC

Reply 2 : 1980 Corolla SR-5 Vacuum



Yes, I have the remnants of a vacuum hose routing sticker on the underside of the hood of the car. It's pretty effed up. I guess i'll go buy a manual from autozone this evening, and see what that tells me. Any words of advice for someone trying to get an old 3tc running good? I'm not out for performance, lol, I'm out for fuel economy.

Reply 3 : 1980 Corolla SR-5 Vacuum



Well, I bought a Chilton's manual for the corolla, and it dosen't list vacuum diagrams at all in it.

Where should I got to next to get such a diagram? Will Toyota fax me one or something?



I really need to get this car going, gas usage in my pickup is killing me.

Reply 4 : 1980 Corolla SR-5 Vacuum



Check the Chiltons thoroughly. It should be under Fuel, exhaust and emissions control system or something like that. If the Chiltons is not useful take it back saying it is useless and get a Haynes.



Or you could try the library and photocopy some out of a Haynes manual or if your lucky a Mitchell Manual. Mitchell is one of the best manuals. Most dealers use their rate guides. There are quite a few diagrams for each different emissions control.



Another alternative is try going to your local dealership and asking. Explain your situation. If it is a good parts department they will help you. They have computers and printers and parts layouts. Would not take long to printout.



Also did you check out the first thread in this group, "Toyota Repair Manuals"



good luck

hemi3tc

Reply 5 : 1980 Corolla SR-5 Vacuum



I tried one Toyota place, and they said they couldn't help me. I Read all of the posts regarding online manuals to no avail either.



Mitchell Manuals are like $100.00.

I just can't shell out that kind of cash for basically one page of vacuum diagrams.

I wish I could find someone with at least a picture of a 3tc engine with all of it's hoses hooked up. That would help quite a bit. Thanks for the words of encouragement hemi, I love this little old car, but noone seems to know a whole lot about it here in Stephenville, Texas. lol

Reply 6 : 1980 Corolla SR-5 Vacuum



I know Mitchell Manuals are expensive. That is why I said to go to a library to photocopy the information you need. You might find some more info for future use in it.



As for only one page of vacuum diagrams it is more like several diagrams. There must be some parts shop that sells Haynes manuals. It has all the factory diagrams copied in there. Haynes are also cheap.



Here is one on Ebay right Now!!!!! for 1980 - 87 Grab it!!!



Haynes Automotive Repair Manual Toyota Corolla - New Item number: 7965930922







Hemi3TC

Reply 7 : 1980 Corolla SR-5 Vacuum



All our library has is books on OLD OLD cars. lol I live in Stephenville, Texas, and it's selection of manuals is pretty much Ford and Chevy. lol



I'm gonna try to find a Chiltons Vacuum Diagram book, for imports. Supposedly there is one for all imports 80-87, so hopefully that will be the way to go for me.



Thanks again for all the help, Hemi. If I buy this manual, I'll scan it and upload the diagrams somewhere. This has been bugging me for weeks. lol

Reply 8 : 1980 Corolla SR-5 Vacuum



I had trouble finding one for my 81. I couldn't find it in any mitchell manuals, never checked the hanes. Managed to figure it out by the way the hoses have formed over the last 24 years, so when i get my camera batteries charged I'll post some pictures of mine(if I can get any decent ones). This might happen tonight, if not possibly sometime tomorrow.

Reply 9 : 1980 Corolla SR-5 Vacuum



well i tried attaching pictures. turns out i don't know how. when i hit the attach image icon it asks me for a url. if anyone knows how, let me know and i'll do it.

Reply 10 : 1980 Corolla SR-5 Vacuum



Hey man, that would be a lifesaver 81SR5! You can e-mail them to me as an attachment, if you would like. My e-mail is clansht@earthlink.net



Thanks so much!

Reply 11 : 1980 Corolla SR-5 Vacuum



I got the pics, 81SR5! Thanks so much!

Reply 12 : 1980 Corolla SR-5 Vacuum




Quote:








Originally Posted by 81SR5
View Post

I had trouble finding one for my 81. I couldn't find it in any mitchell manuals, never checked the hanes. Managed to figure it out by the way the hoses have formed over the last 24 years, so when i get my camera batteries charged I'll post some pictures of mine(if I can get any decent ones). This might happen tonight, if not possibly sometime tomorrow.



If possible could you please send me a copy as i cant find one anywhere! my email is, tazzbruu13@hotmail.com



thanks heaps

tazz

Reply 13 : 1980 Corolla SR-5 Vacuum



there are three different vacum diagrams I could send you. One for Califronia specs, one for High altitude, and one for federal. Anyone want one, send me your email and year and I'll send it to you via a .PDF file.




Quote:








Originally Posted by OldCorolla
View Post

I got the pics, 81SR5! Thanks so much!




Reply 14 : 1980 Corolla SR-5 Vacuum




Quote:








Originally Posted by TOYOPARTSMAN
View Post

there are three different vacum diagrams I could send you. One for Califronia specs, one for High altitude, and one for federal. Anyone want one, send me your email and year and I'll send it to you via a .PDF file.



im not to sure, im from Australia, i just have a stock Te t18 with stock 3TC so im guessing just the basic one, thank you, even if u email all of them and I can figure out which one i need.



thanks heaps again

Tazz

No comments:

Post a Comment