Friday, March 25, 2011

3S-GE RWD Application



This may be a stupid question, but I'm not to up to speed with 3S-GE's... Are they interchangable from FWD to RWD applications? As in, from a Celica to an Altezza... Engine mount obviously won't be the same but can they be changed? Will something such as an Altezza 6 Speed gear box mount to a motor that came out of something such as a Celica? I'm looking at a little side project.



Put this post in the appropriate place if need be... I figured since it's not one question I'd leave it here.

Reply 1 : 3S-GE RWD Application



thats a good question, i remeber back in my hachi roku days, there were guys talking about a thread like this on club4ag and what i think is that the altezza is a RWD application and a mr is a FWD(midship) application, so the trans would be in different orientations. but im not sure on this application as of swaping them for one another, i remeber one guy at a corolla meet that he had a beams motor in his ae86 and he was telling me he had a 3sge before thta installed in the car. but instead of going 3sgte he went ITB beams, so im kinda interested in this topic as well now, hopefully there is someone out there that can answer it.

Reply 2 : 3S-GE RWD Application



I don't believe that it is an easy task. Not impossible, but not easy. There is a member over at Classic-Celica.com that put in a 3SGTE into his RWD celica and there were a few issues. Perhaps you can find his thread on it, his username is Skeptic. I remember one issue was that he had to keep the engine tilted as it is stock so the oil drained back properly.

Reply 3 : 3S-GE RWD Application



yea the oil is on issue, but it can be fixed through a beams pan or sumthing, i forget but thats what i was told by some corolla guys at a meet once too... i have experience in this, as for i never attempted this swap or looked into it, i just recently found out about the 7age swap like last year =( but yeah, id say look into it, and maybe there might be someone here that might know.

Reply 4 : 3S-GE RWD Application



altezza sump fits on the celica motors, the 6 speed also bolts up

Reply 5 : 3S-GE RWD Application



It was just a random idea really, FWD motors are a whoooole lot cheaper than RWD ones. I've recently sold my Corolla and purchased a Datsun Sunny VB310/B310 wagon... It's got some serious boogie for a 1500cc... But f**k all torque... The obvious option is an SR20 from a Nissan Silvia, but being a Toyota man, I was thinking I'd have a look at a 3S-GE instead... Anyways, cheers for the help guys, I'd still like to know about engine mounts, more so the engine mounting points on the block... I get all tingly thinking about it lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment