Monday, March 21, 2011

Speedometer off...new 2010 Corolla S!



Hey guys! I did a search but couldn't find anything on this.



The speedometer on my 2010 Corolla S (that I got about three weeks ago) is off by about 3mph. When the needle on the speedometer shows 70, I'm actually only going about 67mph. I tested this out with two different GPS devices. Everything is stock. Should I have the dealer look at it?

Reply 1 : Speedometer off...new 2010 Corolla S!



Check your tire pressure...although it shouldnt throw it off by that much. And odds are you wont get into any trouble over 3mph. If you know a cop have him tag you at a set speed and see how that works out.

Reply 2 : Speedometer off...new 2010 Corolla S!



Every car I have ever drove or owned or had a ride in has this problem. The speedo is always optimistic by a couple of mph.

Reply 3 : Speedometer off...new 2010 Corolla S!



Yeah we already know about that. I thought someone did make a thread. Oh well. Youre not the only one with the speedometre problem

Reply 4 : Speedometer off...new 2010 Corolla S!



My 2011 Camry's speedo is fast by 3 mph and my 2000 Maxima's speedo is fast by 2 mph. My 1995 Mustang is right on the money. I always wondered if it was a drive by wire thing? None of my accelerator cable equipped cars had problems with a slightly off speedo, but all my DBW ones do.

Reply 5 : Speedometer off...new 2010 Corolla S!



though, most GPS will also be off by slight increments.. go through a speed trap at a steady speed and see, or just buy a speed gun**much more fun..

Reply 6 : Speedometer off...new 2010 Corolla S!



I read somewhere that the optimistic reading is to compensate for tire wear.

Reply 7 : Speedometer off...new 2010 Corolla S!



Every car that I've ever owned has been fast by 2-3 mph on the speedo. You can correct this by getting a taller tire. I'll use a 17" tire as an example.......



215/45R17 This is what Toyota recommends.

225/45R17 This is what I'm using & the error is now 1-2 mph

235/45R17 This would be very close to perfect as far as the speedo is concerned.

Reply 8 : Speedometer off...new 2010 Corolla S!



Mine is too but I never bothered with it. I figure the ticket for 98 in a 70 is going to be the same as 95 in a 70.

Reply 9 : Speedometer off...new 2010 Corolla S!




Quote:








Originally Posted by SuperchargedMR2
View Post

Every car that I've ever owned has been fast by 2-3 mph on the speedo. You can correct this by getting a taller tire. I'll use a 17" tire as an example.......



215/45R17 This is what Toyota recommends.

225/45R17 This is what I'm using & the error is now 1-2 mph

235/45R17 This would be very close to perfect as far as the speedo is concerned.



smaller tire was my suggestion too... I took the tire specs and got one that was within 1 mph range at up to 70mph, have not actually tested, but good enough for me.

Reply 10 : Speedometer off...new 2010 Corolla S!



could this explain why some have really good or really bad mileage when checking avg on car display

No comments:

Post a Comment