Saturday, March 19, 2011

2000 Sienna, treating common rust spots



There's a rusting area I've seen on many Sienna's with a similar vintage as my 2000. It's on the hood, passenger side at the front lip. I've seen one that had holes there.



I've tried treating it with Rustoleum oil base rusty metal primer, Rustoleum rust stop liquid (phosphoric acid?) and similar things before priming and painting it. I've filled the polished and prepped once rusty dimples in the metal with body filler. I've sprayed primer into the small holes on the underside of the hood. All it does is return in some shape or fashion - and it's spreading wider. I've talked to it saying enough already....



What's an effective way to treat the erupting dots that turn into rust cavities?



I also have heavy rust developing on the rear shock lower mount assembly. I don't know how common that is, but what to do about it?







A little background to go along with my first post. It's been a great van, except for the 17/19mpg since new. With just basic upkeep and a few simple (mostly driveway) repairs it is approaching 170k. And I can't avoid driving winters in a real road salty environment. This board has been great reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment