Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Cam springs noise? Valve tapping?



Hey all; had a clicking/rattling noise in the engine recently, dealer took a quick look and said it's probably the cam spring needing repositions/adjusted, they said it looks like someone had taken off the cover and didn't put it back together right.



Can this spring problem make a noise as such or is there anything else it could be? Is $80 (1hr labor) and ~$20 in parts a decent price for this?



I was suspecting the idler pully or something timing belt related before but they seemed pretty certain it was the spring problem.



Thanks!

Reply 1 : Cam springs noise? Valve tapping?



They are talking about a valve spring, is it really loud and under wht conditions does it make the noise?

Reply 2 : Cam springs noise? Valve tapping?



Yeah I got 4 hours of sleep today so I'm confusing terms already :P. It's pretty loud with the hood open, but inside the car it's not audible. It increaes in pitch and speed (frequency) slighty when revved up I think.



Thanks .



Edit: Is this reffered to as valve tapping? I think this post below is the same problem I'm having, my mechanic mentioned shims to adjsut it. Sorry I'm so confused, it's been a confusing week of car terms being thrown at me constantly .



http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t88592.html

Reply 3 : Cam springs noise? Valve tapping?




Quote:







http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t88592.html


Yea that's the kind of tapping im talking about, is that what you think it is?

Reply 4 : Cam springs noise? Valve tapping?



I think it's either the valve springs need adjusted/repositioned as the dealer said, or the valve clearance needs adjusted using shims as my mechanic said. I don't know which one it is. Neither of them opened it, they were just guessing by the noise.



Would it be possible for the mechanics to tell which on it is once it's open?



Thanks for your help.

Reply 5 : Cam springs noise? Valve tapping?



You can't adjust the valve springs. If their out of spec, you replace them.



What you can adjust is the valve lash / valve clearance. Checking the valve lash is not a big deal. Adjusting it is a pain in the ass since its a shim on bucket design.

Reply 6 : Cam springs noise? Valve tapping?



Hmm; could it be the springs aren't seated properly or something? They mentioned someone putting the valve cover back on without putting in / seating the springs properly, causing the noise.



In either case, will they be able to tell if it's the springs or valve clearance when they get in there? Or will it cost me more than an hour's labor?



Thanks!

Reply 7 : Cam springs noise? Valve tapping?




Quote:








Originally Posted by trioptimum


Hmm; could it be the springs aren't seated properly or something?



No way. Unless your motor dropped a valve or something, in which case you'll be hearing more then just a tapping sound.



The valve springs just don't magically come unseated.




Quote:







They mentioned someone putting the valve cover back on without putting in / seating the springs properly, causing the noise.


Wrong.



The valve cover is just a cover. It has nothing to do with the valve springs other then covering them up.



Do me a favor and go smack that person upside the head for being stupid.




Quote:







In either case, will they be able to tell if it's the springs or valve clearance when they get in there? Or will it cost me more than an hour's labor?


If your getting valve tap its most likely because:



1. Valve lash is out of spec.



2. Worn lifter bucket.



3. A combination of 1 & 2.

Reply 8 : Cam springs noise? Valve tapping?



Yeah, I went back to the dealer today, when they handed me the papers to sign the estimate had changed from $40 to fix it to $300 to look at it and addittional to fix it ><. So, last time I go there.



Goodyear is going to take a look under there and see what's wrong for $40 flat fee, no charge if they don't find anything, so that sounds good to me. I think it's got to be the valve lash needing re-speced... they just stick shims under there, right? Waht can I expect to pay for that, and should the timing belt be done as well then? (it's got a good 20k before it _needs_ done, but if labor is overlapping, might as well).



Did someone likely abuse this car if that's the case ? I'm thinking I should get rid of it and get a different Solara if this one was beat up on or not maintained. It's been a pain in the ass so far (o2 sensor, EGR position sensor, airbag computer, and this, all in 4 weeks, car ran and checked out FINE when I bought it a month ago - this car is being worse than my nightmare Saab was ).



Thanks guys .

Reply 9 : Cam springs noise? Valve tapping?



Also, see here:



http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t79935.html



One guy towards the bottom mentions the spring coming loose and rattling in the cover. That's probably what the mechanics were talking about.



Damnit, I hate cars when they make noises and cost money. I need to be a mechanic just so I can get this frustration of not knowing what's wrong with my cars out of my life :P.

Reply 10 : Cam springs noise? Valve tapping?




Quote:








Originally Posted by trioptimum


I think it's got to be the valve lash needing re-speced... they just stick shims under there, right?



Its more involved then that.



1. Check valve lash on all valves with a feeler gauge. Note any that are out of spec.



2. Remove the shim from the valves that are out of spec. This requires special tools.



3. Measure the shim with a micrometer and note thickness.



4. Replace all the shims that were removed with shims of the proper thickness.



5. Check valve lash again.





A lot of work.




Quote:







Waht can I expect to pay for that, and should the timing belt be done as well then? (it's got a good 20k before it _needs_ done, but if labor is overlapping, might as well).


No idea what it would cost to adjust the valve lash. I do everything myself because I don't trust shady mechanics.



You can hold off on the timing belt for now.




Quote:







One guy towards the bottom mentions the spring coming loose and rattling in the cover. That's probably what the mechanics were talking about.


Thats the spring on the camshaft. Totally different part then a valve.



And its a different motor (3S-FE).

Reply 11 : Cam springs noise? Valve tapping?



I have no idea what spring they were talking about . Ehh... yeah, that's where the $300 quote came from then, that is a bit of work. I just hope it doesn't cost allot of money when it's over with. Thanks for the reference; I'll post back when I know what it was, hopefully Goodyear can do it on the cheap - I can do allot of stuff myself on this car, but not engine related things. Thanks again for all your help.

Reply 12 : Cam springs noise? Valve tapping?



I know this thread is beyond dead, but did you find a solution to your noise problem?

No comments:

Post a Comment