Wednesday, March 23, 2011

97 4-Runner (clicks sometimes on start)



I see a few posts with this issue, but no one confirming the fix. My 97 4-runner has a loud click when you try to crank. On the 2nd. time it will start. It started doing this a few days ago. I thought it was coroded battery cables, but that didn't fix my problem. I can't tell where the loud click is coming from. Again, it will typically turn over if you turn the key back off and turn it on again. The most it has taken has been 3 times.



Ideas? I see another post where someone suggests replacing the alternator, but I always thought that the battery light would come on if you had alternator problems. Additionally, the battery seems to stay charged, so it seems odd, but no ruling it out.



Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Reply 1 : 97 4-Runner (clicks sometimes on start)



Next time you go to start the car have someone listen for the click at starter. If so look at the starter solenoid. And then might try tapping it with a hammer before starting.



Also check the battery cables and terminals at both ends (battery and starter).

Reply 2 : 97 4-Runner (clicks sometimes on start)



How do you know if the battery "seems" charged? When was the last time you replaced the battery? The probelm could be solved as easy as changing out your battery or the starter contacts.

Reply 3 : 97 4-Runner (clicks sometimes on start)



Thx. for the quick response. I guess I will need to crawl underneath the car to check at the starter. The reason that I ruled out the battery was because I just replaced it last year. However, I realize that it could still be bad. Also, it seems to have plenty of juice in the battery when it doesn turn over. I guess I will check both of these items.

Reply 4 : 97 4-Runner (clicks sometimes on start)



See this......



http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/starter/

Reply 5 : 97 4-Runner (clicks sometimes on start)



I was having the same problem with my 97 4Runner for almost 6 months. I constantly had to turn the key back to off and try to start it again. Finally the key got stuck and I had to buy a whole new ignition assembly. Luckily I found one at a junkyard for only $50 and this fixed the problem.

Bodda bing!

Reply 6 : 97 4-Runner (clicks sometimes on start)



It' the starter contacts....a common problem - pull the starter remove contacts -take to parts guy to get the right ones and reinstall or.... ashop should do it for about $100

Reply 7 : 97 4-Runner (clicks sometimes on start)



My 98 4-Runner did this and I replaced the contacts in the starter. They are very low cost but it is fairly hard to replace them. It took me about 3 1/2 hours on our 4x4.

No comments:

Post a Comment