Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Any recurring issues with '96 Avalon?



I found a '96 Avalon with 74k mi. Any recurring issues with this model and year? Should I expect the reliability and low maintenance of a Camry?...or should I expect major issues because it's the first generation of that model? Any input helps. Thx.



-sapo

Reply 1 : Any recurring issues with '96 Avalon?



Just watch for sludge and oil leaks mainly. 95 was the first year it was made, so if there are any issues on the first year of production, they are usually solved by the next year. Aside from oil related issues, nothing to really worry about.

Reply 2 : Any recurring issues with '96 Avalon?



see previous threads on this issue, but everyone mostly complains about doing struts, mounts, swaybar connecting links & bushings, and leaking rack& pinion/power steering pump, valve cover leak and normal maintenance such as timing belt/water pump change, and the rear spark plugs are difficult to change.

Reply 3 : Any recurring issues with '96 Avalon?



The suspension is the weak link in these cars. Control Arm bushings could cause clunking which is my problem after replacing all swawy bar bushings and links are in good condition.

Struts->Get KYB or Monroe Quick Struts(complete assmebly)

Struts->KYB is Crap for mounts, MOOG or Revised Toyota Mounts

Bushings->I got all mine from Energy Suspension, cheap and polyurethane.

The avalon is just a camry with a little more luxury so it should last a long time if maintained.

Reply 4 : Any recurring issues with '96 Avalon?



I have just over 200k on my 98 and bought it with about 25k. Agree with all the comments above. Should last you a long time. Question for pmesfun. I am also having a suspension issue (in the front). Replaced sway bar links (with Moog), struts/mounts (with Gabriel Ready Mounts) and sway bar bushings. It's better but I still having a clunking noise when going over any bump or uneven surface. Have not addressed the control arm bushings. How do I inspect them to know if they need to be replaced, and how do you press the new ones in place if they do need replacement?? Also, are the other, cylinder shaped control arm bushings problematic as well or just the hockey pucked shaped ones??

Reply 5 : Any recurring issues with '96 Avalon?



I agree with everyone above. I'd absolutely buy another one. Typical Toyota run-forever quality with minimal problems when given reasonably good maintenance.

Reply 6 : Any recurring issues with '96 Avalon?




Quote:








Originally Posted by ottogaus
View Post

I have just over 200k on my 98 and bought it with about 25k. Agree with all the comments above. Should last you a long time. Question for pmesfun. I am also having a suspension issue (in the front). Replaced sway bar links (with Moog), struts/mounts (with Gabriel Ready Mounts) and sway bar bushings. It's better but I still having a clunking noise when going over any bump or uneven surface. Have not addressed the control arm bushings. How do I inspect them to know if they need to be replaced, and how do you press the new ones in place if they do need replacement?? Also, are the other, cylinder shaped control arm bushings problematic as well or just the hockey pucked shaped ones??



I'm replacing all bushings, as they come in a set. $40 for all four.

Pretty sure they are causing the clunking because the sway bar bushings, struts/mounts are new.

I'll report back in a few weeks once I install them

Reply 7 : Any recurring issues with '96 Avalon?



i replaced strus yesterday , I must confest it run like new, noticeable on the curves I take them 70 miles fast and very handly,,, i cant find wheredoes come some noises from suspension, cause bushings are OK, but toyota is reliability for shure

Reply 8 : Any recurring issues with '96 Avalon?



The bushings might look like they're okay, but can be deteriorated on the inside or just old. That's how I think of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment