Wednesday, March 16, 2011

3.4L Timing Belt at 118,000 miles



I figured I might as well do it, as it's 28,000 miles overdue.

The timing belt looked in perfect condition, except, 1 of the Cogs on the belt, had about 5 fine small "hairs" sticking out of it. Except for this, the belt looked like it would go another 50,000 miles.

The inside of the orig. radiator hoses, looked as good as the outside, except cleaner! I reused them.

The water pump had no leaks, and the bearing felt good. When I removed it, on the inside, there was a piece of black rubber (seal) sticking out under the impeller. Glade I changed it.

I used the snap on, type spreader to compress the tensioner. Worked good, as did the home made crank holder.

Getting the 19mm nut off, split a new, SK socket. A $10, impact from Napa did the trick.

Auto zone, lent me the 250Ft.# torque wrench to torque the bolt.

I had to remove the idler, between the cam pullies, in order to get the belt on.

No for the strange part. Before the job, the motor al;ways ran at 184 degrees, as per my Scan Gauge.

Now it runs at 190 - 193 degrees. Thermostat was not changed. I don't seem to be able to get any more air bubbles out of the water at the rad. fill.

Thought this info might be of interest to others with a 3.4 that needs a timing belt.

Reply 1 : 3.4L Timing Belt at 118,000 miles



I am getting close to a timing belt as well. Thanks for the info!

Reply 2 : 3.4L Timing Belt at 118,000 miles



Did you change the water pump, while you were changing the belt? Hope it last as long again as your original belt. You would have saved the time and effort of

replacing it,as its located beside the timing belt that you replaced.

Reply 3 : 3.4L Timing Belt at 118,000 miles



I replaced the pump at the same time as the belt. 118k miles. seal hanging out. Gee, should I change it? lol

Reply 4 : 3.4L Timing Belt at 118,000 miles



Changing the front Main seal can be done as you are replacing the belt and water pump . Saves time from having to do do-overs.

No comments:

Post a Comment