Friday, March 18, 2011

Make trunk sturdier? Naps with rear folding seats..



Hey all, I'm on the go a lot and more than several times, I've folded down my seats in the back and slept in my trunk/rear passenger area. The problem is, the board beneath the carpet in the trunk that covers the spare tire well is not strong at all, and creases. I have found that I can only place weight on the chassis. Is there any way I can beef up this piece of cardboard? Perhaps buy some plywood from home depot?



Thanks.

Reply 1 : Make trunk sturdier? Naps with rear folding seats..



Lol that's pretty funny you sleep in your trunk..anyway back on topic, yes you can beef it up by using plywood from homedepot..I've done so myself to withhold the weight of my subwoofer box...just take out ur trunk mat, put it over the plywood, trace along the edges with a sharpie and cut along the line you've made with a jigsaw...you might have to section off one of the corners so you can make it fit inside of your trunk..it worked out perfectly and hasn't bent like that thin cardboard that was previously there..good luck!!

Reply 2 : Make trunk sturdier? Naps with rear folding seats..




Quote:







I've folded down my seats in the back and slept in my trunk/rear passenger area.


how tall and big are you?

I'm 6,4 doubt i can fit straight in trunk/rear seat...

Reply 3 : Make trunk sturdier? Naps with rear folding seats..



I fit with some room left over. 5'11"

Reply 4 : Make trunk sturdier? Naps with rear folding seats..



Along with plywood, you might want to attach some 2x4s (or 2x2s) vertically to provide support against the spare tire and floorboard.

Reply 5 : Make trunk sturdier? Naps with rear folding seats..




Quote:








Originally Posted by streetuner
View Post

Lol that's pretty funny you sleep in your trunk..anyway back on topic, yes you can beef it up by using plywood from homedepot..I've done so myself to withhold the weight of my subwoofer box...just take out ur trunk mat, put it over the plywood, trace along the edges with a sharpie and cut along the line you've made with a jigsaw...you might have to section off one of the corners so you can make it fit inside of your trunk..it worked out perfectly and hasn't bent like that thin cardboard that was previously there..good luck!!



x2 thats what i did in my 99 camry to hold my sub and subwoofer box. I currently need to do that again now because the sub box broke the stock floorboard. lol

Reply 6 : Make trunk sturdier? Naps with rear folding seats..




Quote:








Originally Posted by 11LE
View Post

I fit with some room left over. 5'11"





I'm a lil curled up at 6'2", but it still works if I need to snooze

Reply 7 : Make trunk sturdier? Naps with rear folding seats..



Replace the board covering the boot floor with mdf, of perhaps 6mm thick (or whatever standard size is close). Cover in carpet.

No comments:

Post a Comment