Thursday, March 17, 2011

New Avalon owner, take notes...



Quick intro. I dont like intros.



Ive been a member for almost a decade but never had any business here. I resort to these Avalon forums for some answers & common issue awareness. For the number of second generation Avalon's sold, these forums are pretty quiet & full of questions that have been asked & answered 5 times. There is some good information but some don't realize how closely related these Avalon's are to the Generation 1's. Most chassis related issues & parts are similar.



Hopefully I can also stir up more aftermarket tuning talk here. Most 1MZ tuners seem to be elsewhere; 1 Gen Avalon, 3rd & 4th Gen. Camry forum, Club Lexus, Solaraguy, & even the MR2 boards. With the 1MZ dual throttle motors these Toyota's separate themselves from the pack even more. For reference these motors are also found in the 99-01 ES300, 2001-03 Highlander & the 99-03 RX300.



After a decade of Mazda ownership Ive decided to jump ship & get on the Toyota train. After 10 years of RWD goodness I find my self in Grandpa's big body sedan. Ive never been a fan of FWD's yet my first import was a 91' Infiniti G20. A nice low mile LS400 was out of my reach. From the second I first cornered hard, I knew that this front heavy, open diff, torque steer monster is something I dont want to push too hard. I'll have to trade 'fun' for better laid back MPG's...



Ive always admired Toyota's quality (despite being built in the US) & line up. I admired the JDM selection of sedans even more. My attempt is to be different so I choose this model. I realize all the good years have gone by but wont give up. For the rest of the Avalon junkies that still live here, follow the way. For future reference I'll be trying out many parts that haven't ever been installed on a Gen 2. Let it begin as I progress from Avalon newbie to Avalon guru. I will attempt to turn one of Toyota's largest FWD machines into something no one is used to seeing. VIP/EXE style is my guideline so the typical slammed effect, staggered wheels with rolled fenders is in the works.



Over the last 4 months Ive almost read everything related to the Avalon. It took a while to grasp the information from a half dozen forums. Im pretty confident now on the complete make up of the 2 generation Avalon & its direct relation to the 20 series chassis; ES300/Camry/Solara & most important, the 1 generation Avalon. These US flagship Toyota's actually borrow a lot from their cousins.



It seems as if no one wanted to tune this car seriously (Yes I know about the Car Domain black XL that was modded years ago). I cant blame anyone for not dumping money into one since the average age of ownership is 60 something. Most think its a plush ride & wont touch it. I think it handles like a California King size mattress. Is there anyone on the boards these days that serious about tuning one ??? Few parts are listed under the Avalon but that hasnt stopped me at all. Because of the direct relation to those other cars on this platform, it has made locating parts quiet easy. Just take a look at the JDM Toyota Pronard, plenty of people attempt to mod this car in Japan...



I Dont have current pics but I picked up a 2001 Avalon XLS in Lunar Mist Metallic with Stone grey leather. Its a full load with 75,000kms.



Right now Im stock piling parts for the March makeover. So far I have dropped some major coin on...



-205/60/16 Dunlop Winter Sport 3D tires

-Phillips Diamond Vison 5000K headlights/PIAA Plasma Yellow 3000K fogs/LED's all around

-Weathertech Rain Guards/Trunk mat/3rd Gen Avalon OEM all weather mats (95% fit)

-JIC FLT-TAR coilovers that aren't a 100% sure fit, air is way too $$$...

-JIC rare front strut bar

-Whiteline 20mm rear sway bar/OEM endlinks/Rear camber bolts

-Energy carbon control arm bushings front & rear.

-Manaray 17x8.25 et14 but staggered 18's will be the final selection. Project Kics R40 Neo Chrome Lugs

-Stopping department gets Hawk HPS front brakes/Stoptech SS lines. Searching for the limited caliper relocation kit for 13' Supra rotors ...

-Power department gets a Megan Solara cat back hacked up to be fitted on this 2' longer chassis. This will be mated to a custom mandrel bent 2into1 Y pipe finished with twin 3' VIP resonated tips

-Mobil 1 Synthetic

-Weapon R Secret Weapon twin throttle intake is on order.

-Apex-i Ground Kit



There are a few other mods out there but with time I will find them....



My old Mazda 929/929S...







For reference; a slammed JDM Pronard





Enough with the talk...

Reply 1 : New Avalon owner, take notes...



I love seeing Avalon tuners on here! Please keep us posted of everything you do, and take lots of pics. Only reason why I haven't done anything major to my car yet is because I'm young and don't make that much money. n:



Btw, I think 3 inch exhaust tips might be a little big, but that's just me.

Reply 2 : New Avalon owner, take notes...



very nice work. theres some good potential to be had out of an avalon.

Reply 3 : New Avalon owner, take notes...



Very nice look on the Mazda, kind of an AMG thing going on in the 1st pic? Maybe? The Avalon has always been a bit of a mystery to me. Its pretty rare around here, and yet it's the top of the line luxery model for Toyota...Yet they never really seemed to invest much in it beyond making sure it was quiet, smooth riding and loaded with stuff. They never really seemed to do anything with it to make look or work in any kind of a way to give it some attitude. Any car companies top of brand model should at least have a few options available that make it look sexy as hell, and tell a few buyers that "I'm not just going to get you around in comfort and style.., I'm going to make you look damn cool while I do it"! I think the Avalon has tons of potential, plus the name has great mystical origins and connotations.

Reply 4 : New Avalon owner, take notes...



i was modding my wifes gen1 avalon. falken 18x8 rims eibach springs se camry steering rack 98 es300 mild p&p engine.



talk to trd4life (gabe) get the m90 supercharger for the car. you'll love it.

Reply 5 : New Avalon owner, take notes...



It will be nice to see something a little different around here. Dunno why this generation Avalon was overlooked by a lot of people, it's quite a nice riding car and not too bad looking either.



Here's a little inspiration for you:







Best Pronard I've seen yet.

Reply 6 : New Avalon owner, take notes...



CTB727 - I like seeing tuned Avalons but nice ones are rare. I will make sure to take extensive pictures. The 3" twin tip single exit exhaust is something I have already. The Avalons rear body lines will make this look small...



bigbird - After sitting in one of these you do realize the potential in this car. Its a Lexus Camry.



- Thanks for the compliments on the Mazda. I was going for the VIP inspired look with AMG styled wheels. That was the first rendition, I later tried it again on my second 929 -->







...The Avalon is a mystery indeed. You say around here & its the same across Canada. These were priced in the 50K plus range up here & that was steep for a 'Toyota'. There isnt nearly as many of these up here when compared to the US. Every time I drive down to Seattle Im guaranteed to see twice the amount Id normally see in Vancouver...



From how you put it, I think the Avalon turned out that way because Toyota was targeting a much older audience. It wasnt supposed to directly compete with a Cadillac either, the word Buick was usually used when ever comparisons were made. Its too bad the first decade of Avalon production lacked attitude & personality when compared to a LS400. What can you expect from a Camry/ES chassis anyways...



2wickedtoyz - Ive always like the Gen 1 Avalon's, especially the last couple years... S/C would be nice but they dont work with the VVTi motors. I think a few bolt-ons, full exhaust, & true CAI will make this car fast enough for me...



PhatRoyale - I feel ya man. I have no idea why this car gets no love. Its really the best of a ES300 & Camry XLE combined. I like the Pronard you posted. Its likely the most extensively modded one as well. He definitely went for the full VIP look. I saw that picture well over a year ago & its half reason Im here. The other half dates back ten years ago when I worked at Toyota & sat in a Avalon just like the one I have today.



Ive collected a couple hundred JDM Pronard pictures. Ill eventually post them. Here are a few more...






















Reply 7 : New Avalon owner, take notes...



Interesting!? I don't think the guys on this part of the forum (gen3-4) have picked up on this, but what I'm really I'm actually interested in building, sounds alot like what you are tring to do with the Avalon. I want to take my Camry, load it with everthing I can in the luxery manner, so far leather interior, high end sound (for me), a few more tuned hp, (more to come), enhance the handling and take the power up a few notches. Lets just say for me the current target to beat is an ES-350. Junior level maybe, but kind of the same EXE., VIP, thing you are working on. It with have to be quiet but cool sounding, handle well, but not ride like an unloaded dump truck, offer every comfort option possible, but be capable of making a few carbon fibered, riced-out drivers say "geez, WTF it that"?

Reply 8 : New Avalon owner, take notes...



Word. There's tons of potential with this chassis. In other Asian markets (Thailand) the Camry is highly modified since it is considered one of their luxury models. I think most Gen. 3-4 Camry owners have no idea most their parts fit on a 2000-2004 Avalon. One of my goals is to have it sit right & handle nice while doing so. And of course wheel fitment is most important...



On a side note I just installed the JIC front strut bar specific to the Solara/Camry application. The fit was perfect & the difference is night & day. The steering is more precise & body flex is cut down big time on stock 205's ! I dont even have coils installed yet.

Reply 9 : New Avalon owner, take notes...




Quote:








Originally Posted by MCX20-XLS
View Post

I think Gen. 3-4 Camry owners have no idea most their parts fit on a 2000-2004 Avalon.



You thought wrong.

Reply 10 : New Avalon owner, take notes...



edit - 'most' Gen 3-4 owners...

Reply 11 : New Avalon owner, take notes...



So far it looks great, cant wait wait to see it when its complete!

Reply 12 : New Avalon owner, take notes...



Any pics of your mods so far?

Reply 13 : New Avalon owner, take notes...



Pics coming soon, the snow has to melt first. Only a few mods have been installed. Im waiting for my BBK to arrive & plan to do that with the suspension this March.



Can anyone confirm if the stock wheel offset is 16x6 +40 or +45 ??? I keep seeing different answers & need to confirm.

Reply 14 : New Avalon owner, take notes...



its a 45 offset...heres some pics for proof








No comments:

Post a Comment