Thursday, March 17, 2011

Spark Plug popped out w/ wire still in it?



Today the camry started to bog and felt week and there was a rapid tick. It was the spark plug popping up and hitting under neath the hood. For some reason the spark plug popped out.



I checked the plug and it was attached to the plug wire, and the plug's thread looked okay, not stripped.



I am afraid of a bigger issue? I will try see if I can thread the spark plug back in. This is weird.



Any idea or help?



Thanks.

Reply 1 : Spark Plug popped out w/ wire still in it?



Was it recently serviced? -- simple human error/>?

Reply 2 : Spark Plug popped out w/ wire still in it?







If your plugs weren't changed recently, maybe they are popping out asking to be changed

I'd get new plugs and make sure you tighten them well

Reply 3 : Spark Plug popped out w/ wire still in it?



The 1mz-fe get 13 foot lbs, I prefer to use an inch pound torque wrench for low torques like this. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN, DO NOT UNDER TIGHTEN and always use never sieze compound on plug threads.

Reply 4 : Spark Plug popped out w/ wire still in it?




Quote:








Originally Posted by Safari Wagon
View Post





If your plugs weren't changed recently, maybe they are popping out asking to be changed

I'd get new plugs and make sure you tighten them well



Hi Folks,



I appreciate the help. It hasn't been changed in a while, but I've never heard of something like this. If it pops out, doesn't it mean the threads on the spark plug and head would be destroyed?



I plan on picking up some VPOWER NGK and changing it. If in deed I cannot torque the spark plug in, what would that mean?



Thanks

Reply 5 : Spark Plug popped out w/ wire still in it?



If any threads are stripped it's the aluminum head threads. Try to install a new plug on that cylinder and tighten to spec. If the threads are shot the best answer would be to pull the head, take to machine shop or get a different head. I have heard of hit and miss success using head thread replacement kits without removing the head, but thats risky bussiness.

Reply 6 : Spark Plug popped out w/ wire still in it?



Today I went over a bump, heard a pop, heard what sounded like a loose belt, checked under the hood, and a plug had come out! Seems like the same thing and thanks for the advice, everyone!

Reply 7 : Spark Plug popped out w/ wire still in it?



Are you talking about the spark plug or the spark plug wire?



My friend has the cheap BWD wire set in his camry(5s-fe) and one of them would pop out on their own and misfire, etc. New wire set under warranty and no more problems.



Is that your problem?

No comments:

Post a Comment